Monday, April 24, 2006

Trade union link with the labour party & state funding of political partys

Are Blarites hijacking the issue of State funding and using it to their own ends to sever the link between the party and its affiliated unions?

If they don't like the link and the influence then they should leave the party and set up on their own instead of trying to hijack the labour party.

The sooner Blair and his supporters go the better!

Even if the link was served it may prove to be worthless as many trade unionists are also labour councilors/members so the trade union influence would live on even if the finacial backing was replaced by state funding.

How far would state funding go anyway, my own branch of the labour party has alrerady benefited from the link as I have secured a £100 donation to setting up a branch website and this is in a area of Tory domination with Lib Dems the opposition which shows the value of the trade union link.

2 comments:

Tom said...

yeah. I think we should have both. best funding =unions and members. 2nd best=state funding. 3rd best=plutocrats.

May I tempt you with this?

Manchester University Labour Club said...

The trade union link is vitally important. I honestly believe that the Brownites do not want to break the link.

People like Ian McCartney and Alan Johnson defend the union link.

I got involved in the labour party when USDAW helped me out so even though I am broadly supportive of new labour I believe the link must stay.

People like Dave Prentice of UNISON are slightly blairite but defend the union link.